Wednesday 1 February 2012

Taliban Influence Growing As Afghans Spurn Corrupt Regime

Sitting cross-legged on the carpeted floor, "Rahimullah" told me he was aged 20 and had been in the Taliban since he was 16. I asked him if he was prepared to kill his brother, the army officer, if necessary. The answer, calmly delivered, was chilling: "Whoever joins the infidels, we will fight them."Even if it is my brother, even if it is my father. Our religion requires this." From here.
The official version of events from both Karzai and NATO is increasingly a perversion of reality. Karzai is looking more and more friendless as time goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA and NATO are trying to identify a 'friendly' Taliban leader to supplant Karzai as someone they can deal with after 2014 (by which time I firmly believe the Mayor of Kabul will be gone).

No comments:

Post a Comment