Monday, 22 May 2017

Letter to NATO Members on civilian protection in Afghanistan

Letter to NATO Members on civilian protection in Afghanistan | Human Rights Watch:

Since the withdrawal of most international forces at the end of 2014, fighting between the Afghan government and insurgents has escalated, straining the capacities of the ANSF, and taking a higher toll on civilians. In July 2016, Human Rights Watch wrote to all NATO heads of state to raise our concerns about rising civilian casualties in the Afghan conflict and about specific abuses by Afghan government forces and government-supported militias. We recognize that the Afghan government faces a growing threat not only from Taliban insurgents, but also from groups claiming affiliation with the Islamic State. Under these circumstances the government should be more concerned than ever about the effect of abuses on the civilian population, yet serious violations by government forces continue to increase with near complete impunity.

Sunday, 21 May 2017

Kabul: There is no guarantee of security

Kabul: There is no guarantee of security | Asia | DW | 21.05.2017

We are shocked and appalled. All attacks are horrendous. Kabul. Paris. Brussels. Nice. Berlin. Details are still unclear. We call contacts in Kabul to find out more. We follow what Afghan colleagues are reporting on social media.
We let our families know that we're okay. Friends and colleagues call, text or send messages on WhatsApp. The young deportees understand German well enough to follow our conversations with people back home. Mujtaba and Isa offer us their condolences. We speak to the editor-in-chief and the security coordinator and weigh up the situation.
The picture starts to become clearer. The attack on Saturday evening was aimed at foreigners. The target was the aid organization's living complex. An Afghan security guard and a German aid worker are dead. A Finnish aid worker has been abducted.

German woman killed, Afghan bodyguard beheaded in Kabul

Saturday, 20 May 2017

Afghan Vice-President Dostum flies to Turkey amid torture claims

Afghan Vice-President Dostum flies to Turkey amid torture claims - BBC News

The vice-president is a former warlord with decades of experience in Afghanistan's turbulent political arena.
He is blamed for some of the worst atrocities in the country's long-running civil war, but joined its national unity government in 2014.
The allegations against him come from Ahmad Eshchi, a former ally, who says he suffered days of severe beatings and sexual abuse at Gen Dostum's command.

Why would Canada return to a war it would rather forget?

Andrew Potter: Afghanistan, the sequel. Why would Canada return to a war it would rather forget?: 

Afghanistan was our most ambitious foreign adventure since the Korean War, but it’s an adventure most Canadians, including their government, seem keen to forget. The American journalist Dexter Filkins wasn’t wrong when he called it The Forever War though, which is why the United States is readying a “mini-surge” of potentially 5,000 troops back into Afghanistan. Once again, they will be asking NATO countries to help out. And as Postmedia’s David Pugliese reported last week, Canada will be asked to chip in.


Friday, 19 May 2017

5 policemen killed by a comrade in East of Afghanistan



5 policemen killed by a comrade in East of Afghanistan - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency

Provincial governor’s spokesman Ataullah Khogyani confirmed the incident and said the policemen were killed by one of their comrades on Thursday night.
Khogyani further added that the attack was carried out late on Thursday night in a check post located in Marko Bazar.
According to Khogyani, the policemen were initially poisoned by their comrade and were later shot dead.

Thursday, 18 May 2017

NATO Escalation Imminent

ANA solider killed, 2 injured in Herat attack

ANA solider killed, 2 injured in Herat attack | Pajhwok Afghan News:

Police spokesman Abdul Ahad Walizada, , told Pajhwok Afghan News the incident took place at around 8am in Ama Sakina area when gunmen opened firing on security forces vehicle.

Civil Hospital spokesman Mohammad Rafiq Sherzai, said one civilian was evacuated to the Hospital from the site of incident.

Wednesday, 17 May 2017

IS gunmen in deadly battle at Afghan TV

IS gunmen in deadly battle at Afghan TV - BBC News: Twelve employees, including the head of the station, were evacuated early in the attack but others were trapped in the building, which is near the provincial governor's compound.
A BBC Afghan service correspondent at the scene said the attack began when two gunmen on motorbikes blew themselves up about 30m (90 feet) away from the building.



Could Kabul Fall To The Taliban?

Suicide bombers storm state TV station in eastern Afghanistan

Suicide bombers storm state TV station in eastern Afghanistan - France 24: 
At least two people were killed and 14 others wounded in the ongoing assault, which underscores the growing dangers faced by media workers in Afghanistan.
No insurgent group has so far claimed responsibility for the raid in Nangarhar province, a hotbed of Islamic State jihadists, where the US military dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb last month in an unprecedented attack.

Tuesday, 16 May 2017

'One More Push' in Afghanistan is a Scam

More Troops to Afghanistan? - The New York Times

Every time President Lyndon B. Johnson sent another contingent to Southeast Asia, over the course of several years, the excuse was that we just needed another division and all would be well. Only after our deployment exceeded half a million troops did our leaders seem to realize that this was a fool’s errand.
I don’t claim to have a solution to the issues in Afghanistan. But I think our leaders are kidding themselves, and us, by pretending that just one more regiment will do the trick.