Friday, 5 February 2016

Nato forces likely to stay another eight years, says general

Morning Star :: Afghanistan: Nato troops likely to stay another eight years, says general: 
Obama originally wanted to reduce the US contingent from 9,800 to 5,500 by the end of last year, then down to 1,000 by the end of this year with the aim of ending the occupation before he leaves office in 2017. But he backtracked on that pledge last October, pushing back the reduction to 5,500 to some time towards the end of 2016. Republican senators backed Gen Campbell’s assessment on Wednesday. “Fifty-five hundred militarily will not allow you to do what you need to do,” said committee member Lindsey Graham, a senator for South Carolina. “It puts the whole mission at risk.”

No comments:

Post a comment