|Another Young Survivor of The Massacre|
The strike apparently followed an attack by militants on a US Marine base in Nawzad earlier on Saturday. It is no less than a reckless reprisal like many before it.
The deaths have been condemned by Afghan president Hamid Karzai who said he had warned US and Nato troops that their "arbitrary operations" were killing innocent people every day.
He said in a statement the incident was "a big mistake". He added: "It shows that attention is not being paid."
International Security Assistance Force Commander Regional Command South West Major General John Toolan said: "On behalf of the coalition, I offer our heartfelt apologies to the families and friends of those killed.
Separately, the governor of Nuristan on Sunday told AFP that 18 civilians and 20 police had been killed by "friendly fire" during US-led air strikes.