Monday, 21 July 2008
Sunday, 20 July 2008
By VOA News 20 July 2008
Afghan officials say nine local policemen were killed by international airstrikes launched after the police mistook the foreign troops for Taliban militants.
The deputy governor of Farah province says the two sides clashed Sunday in the Anar Derah district of Farah.
Both NATO and U.S. coalition officials say they are investigating the incident.
In other news, NATO-led troops say they accidentally killed four Afghan civilians in the east of the country.
The International Security Assistance Force says it also is investigating whether three other civilians were killed in Paktika province Saturday when two mortar rounds fired by the foreign troops landed one kilometer short of their target.
Four civilians were wounded.
Posted by TONY @oakroyd on 20.7.08
Wednesday, 16 July 2008
KABUL (AFP) - The US-led coalition in Afghanistan admitted Wednesday, 16th July to killing eight civilians during an air strike against militants, as an Afghan official said nine women and a boy had died.
" A coalition convoy returned fire and called for close air support on the enemy positions. A house was hit; eight civilians were killed, two others injured," the US Army said.
The deputy provincial governor Mohammad Younus Rasouli told AFP that a civilian house had been struck in the raid.
"Information from the area is that 12 civilians have been killed: nine women, two men and a boy," he said.
The coalition and separate NATO-led International Security Assistance Force are also investigating official Afghan reports that 64 civilians were killed in two strikes in northeastern Afghanistan early this month.
Posted by TONY @oakroyd on 16.7.08